About Me

My photo
I'm a Christian Mom answering the call to educate our children at home. You can also follow me at www.facebook.com/littleschoolofthewest and on Twitter @schoolofthewest

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

At Home with a Purpose

Since I can remember I've wanted to be two things (besides a wife to an amazing husband): a mother and a teacher.

I can't describe in words how incredible it feels to be living the life of my dreams.

Did I ever imagine that I would be doing so in the comfort of my own home? Absolutely not!

Does it feel amazing? YES!

Living this lifestyle has completely changed my outlook on parenting. I'm no longer just their mom that plays the role of cook, maid and chauffeur. I'm the one they look to for the answers to their every question. I'm no longer having to ask question after question wondering what my son learned at school that day and hearing, "nothing".

It is so much fun watching Josh learn to read and learn new math concepts.  Math is something he really enjoys, mostly because he finds it easy and that means it can be done quickly :)

In fact, the week before last we were in a bit of a rut and Josh was dreading his Language Arts worksheets each day so much that I decided to spend last week just doing a letter a day in his Writing Without Tears book and math.

I also printed out some fun math activities from Homeschool Creations; the St. Patrick's Day "Tracking with Tally Marks" and the Angry Birds Roll and Graph worksheets with die.

 You can tell from the expression on his face that he enjoyed our week of math.  That look of excitement is what I love about homeschooling... when something isn't working we reevaluate and make it work for us.  I'm also loving the fact that none of the kids are required to complete any school work this year so we are taking our time and figuring out what fits best into our lifestyle.

 We continued with our read-alouds which is still one of his favorite things about homeschooling!  When he saw the cover of this Magic Tree House book he ran and found his coon skin hat that his Grandma and Grandpa bought him so he could look like Jack and Annie while he listened to the story :)
  That was last week, this week we are taking our Spring Break.  I'll try to post some fun pictures from our adventures with Daddy soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment